Types of Data Collected; Collection Methods; Combination of Data
You actively send information to us when you sign up with us as a member on our site, participate in surveys or promotions, post opinions on our bulletin boards, respond to us or otherwise contact us. Depending on your choices, you may send us personally identifiable information such as your email address, name, mailing address. But, you may be able to also use certain features of our site without telling us your name and if you do not tell us who you are, we do not try to find out.
We also track information about how you use our site through cookies, Internet tags or web beacons, and navigational data collection (log files, server logs, clickstream). For example, your Internet browser automatically transmits to us information such as the URL of the website you just came from and the Internet Protocol (IP) address and the browser version your computer is currently using.
Web browser Do Not Track (DNT) settings are not enabled on Parentinsider.com.
You do have choices about the collection of information by third parties on our web site. Many, but not all, third parties engaged in interest based advertising participate in an industry wide self regulatory program which has developed consumer-friendly standards for interest based advertising. You can opt out of interest-based advertising offered by participating third parties. With respect to third parties that do not participate in this program, they may or may not offer a mechanism for opting out of interest based advertising.
In addition to the foregoing, you can set your browser to notify you when a cookie is sent or to refuse or delete cookies altogether, but certain features of the Site might not work without certain cookies.
If you have actively sent us your name or other personally identifiable information, we may combine such information with tracked information for the purposes set forth below.
Purposes of Data Collection
We collect information about you because we want to determine what you may like or find interesting, so we can provide you with targeted information and advertising (on our Site, in newsletters, via email and otherwise). In addition, we use data to create statistics and reports where personally identifiable information has been removed and aggregated (such that it is anonymous as regards any specific user) for various business purposes.
Disclosure of Data
We keep your personally identifiable information confidential and we generally do not disclose it. But, please note the following clarifications and exceptions:
- Our employees and independent contractors have access to some of your personally identifiable information for the purpose of helping us run our business (and not for their own purposes). They access and use such data subject to our instructions, on a “need to know” basis and under confidentiality and security obligations.
- We may also share your personally identifiable information to respond to law enforcement requests, court orders or other legal process or if we believe that such disclosure is necessary to investigate, prevent or respond to illegal activities, fraud, physical threats to you or others or as otherwise required by any applicable law or regulation.
- Even though we do not provide any personally identifiable information about you specifically to any advertising customers, they can occasionally find out information indirectly. For example, we frequently agree on target audiences for particular ads. If you choose to respond to such targeted advertisements, the advertiser may deduce that you are a member of the target audience to whom we sent the ad.
- If you sign up for our services on a third party website, such third party may know—from you— that you signed up on one or our sites.
- Before we disclose your personally identifiable data to a third party for their own business purposes (such as a survey or a sweepstake), we will first obtain your consent, for example via email, click-through, an online opportunity to opt-out or otherwise.
- We may share personally identifiable information with affiliated companies.
- We freely use and disclose data in anonymous form, for example, in statistics or reports to our advertising customers.
Please remember that if you post any information in areas that are generally accessible to users, such as chat rooms and message boards, it will be available to the public.
We take reasonable steps to protect personally identifiable information from loss, misuse, and unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. But, you should keep in mind that no Internet transmission is ever completely secure or error-free. In particular, email sent to or from the sites may not be secure.
Access and Correction; Comments and Questions
Opt-Out, Communication Preferences
You may opt out from specific communications at any time.
Your email address helps us better communicate with you. For example, we use it to deliver Parentinsider.com newsletters and respond to your questions. We also use it to deliver special offers from Parentinsider.com.
Parentinsider.com measures how visitors use our site. The types of information we collect include: pages you have visited, purchases you have made, and paths taken through the site.
Some of the majority of advertisements on our site are served to you on our behalf by third party contractors.
However, we may participate in ad networks (which may be third party ad servers, ad agencies, technology vendors and research firms) such as Google Adsense and others and allow them to serve some of the advertisements on our sites.
Ad networks associate your browser with relevant interest categories and uses these categories to show you interest-based advertisements. For example, if you frequently visit travel websites, an ad network may direct to you ads related to travel.
Get further information regarding Google’s privacy practices and how to edit your preferences for interest based advertising or opt out of the Google Adsense network.
Many, but not all, ad networks, including Google Adsense, participate in the Network Advertising Initiative (NAI) which is a cooperative of online marketing and analytics companies committed to building consumer awareness and establishing responsible business and data management practices and standards.
You may obtain general information about the practices of ad networks that participate in the NAI and/or opt-out of such NAI members interest based advertising program.
Once you access another web site through a hyperlink, you are no longer on the Parentinsider.com site, and are then subject to the privacy policies of the specific web site containing that material. Parentinsider.com is not responsible for the privacy practices or the content of third party sites.
If you are a child under the age of 18, you must obtain parental consent prior to using Parentinsider.com. The site will not knowingly contact or engage with children under the age of 18 without said parental consent. If you have reason to believe that a child has provided us with their personal information, please contact us at the address given above and we will endeavor to delete that information from our databases.